Wednesday, March 26

MFA show

gallery view.



Here are some close up.






“….the room will need to be imagined
by someone, perhaps some me
walking away now, who comes alive…”
Stephen Dunn, from The Room

Art exists right under the nose.
It resides in my everyday experiences:
In my husband’s sleepy smile,
In the reassuring clutter of my house,
laundry gathering on the bedroom floor,
a mountain of junk mail,
a greeting from my cat at the door.
¬
These paintings are filled with imaginary spaces constructed from discarded family photo albums and my imagination. Living rooms are resurrected, rearranged, reinvented and derived from a faded wallpapered past that never happened. The pictures hint at situations that could be both imagined or real thus, giving a new life to lost memories and new interpretations through the meditative process of painting.

Harumi Abe 2008

7 Comments:

Blogger FORMICA said...

as images,,, which is what they are on the internet...two cats one sofa,,,, and front porch one female handbag... are engaging.... it allows me to make my own mind... about ,,... well you know.. .,.,

1:45 AM  
Blogger FORMICA said...

hey,,, the images of the cats and the purse... are worth pimping out....
as images i investigated those immediately ... maybe in person... the paintings would read differently... what are you working on now....

11:06 AM  
Blogger tnolaninc said...

I'm so proud of you puchhi. You worked so hard, and your work is amazing, And I love you.

10:47 AM  
Blogger harumi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Arielísimo said...

hey harumi! the show looks great! your colors are always so intense, like when the sunlight just smashes into every surface and everything seems technicolor. please say hi to everyone for me :)

10:55 AM  
Blogger ross said...

Wow, good stuff. A LOT of stuff too. I'd like to see more pictures of the smaller, satellite paintings in the "room" group. There is one in particular of a painting and a bookshelf that looks compelling. Love the gleaming coffee table!

Ariel is making paintings, although not the same, but inspired by moments like these. He's doing these paintings of cakes, but he's started working more on some awesome portraits that I hope he continues with.

12:50 AM  
Blogger harumi said...

I had no idea about all these comments...
I changed the setting on blogger and just found out.
formica> good. I wanted them to be engaging. so cool. I will investigate more on that. thanx

tnolaninc> I love you!

Arielisimo> thank you. I will say hi to everyone too :)

ross> yeah I think I made too much work. as soon as I take good image I will post them. One of the cake (the one with woman in it) is a cake I made on christmas night.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home